Saturday, February 20, 2010

Peter (South Africa)

The first time I really began to doubt God's existence was when I started thinking about time travel and it's implications for sin. Assuming time travel was possible, what if I could go back in time and prevent myself from committing a sin? Would that even be possible or was everything predetermined? It occurred to me that if everything was predetermined then choice and sin would loose all meaning. So, assuming I could change the past, would that create a paradox? There would be no reason to travel back if I had already prevented myself from committing the sin. This of course lead me to multiple universes, one in which I commit the sin and one in which I do not. While I might return to a universe where I had not committed the sin, some other poor version of me would have to suffer for it. This did not seem like the way a good God would arrange things. Doubting God's existence was a sin, but I was having a lot of fun thinking about time-travel and so I sort of put off thinking about God for a little while and read up more on space-time and black holes and relativity. I found that it all made a lot more sense if you didn't have to drag God into the equation, and gradually I felt the need to do so less and less until one day I realised I didn't believe any of it any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment