Thursday, February 4, 2010

About my book

I have been an atheist since November 1996. Strange? Well, if you consider that before that date I had been a full-time missionary and led worship in various churches for a total of 23 years, then I guess one could call it strange.

The process all started when I did some research in neurology and discovered that it was unlikely that humans possessed an eternal "soul" which lived on after death. This raised my suspicions concerning the integrity of Christianity which in turn took me back to the library (I did not have access to Google in those days) for what turned out to be a fascinating journey of discovery.

My research into Christianity pointed my curious mind to several more subjects, and I eventually concluded that people can only believe in Christianity through ignorance and a lack of critical thinking skills. I also made the discovery that, having removed religion from my life, I was more capable of living a moral life than I had been while still a Believer. This was a life-changing discovery because before, as a Christian, I had believed it was impossible to be moral without God.

The knowledge I gained through the whole experience, and the wonderful freedom I have experienced, inspired me to publish a book. This book, Courage To Doubt, tells the story of my "conversion" and explains the various skills necessary for clear thinking, and being a moral member of society without interference from an unreasonable and impossible religion.

My book is available from my publishers (Raider Publishing International) if you are in the USA or Canada, from Amazon almost anywhere else in the world except South Africa, or kalahari.net and loot.co.za if you are in South Africa. If you have read my book please feel free to post a comment on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment